55 fun-filled hikes near Vancouver, field-tested by parents and kids.
The best thing about hiking with kids is appreciating nature as a whole family. And those outings are more fun when everyone is well prepared. Bestselling guidebook author Stephen Hui has carefully chosen 55 trails for kids of a variety of ages and skill levels.
With highlights ranging from a ghost town near Whistler to tide pools and sandy beaches in northern Washington and from limestone caves and old-growth trees on the Sunshine Coast to beaver lodges in Manning Park, these family-friendly adventures are designed for discovery. Detailed trail descriptions, colour photos and maps, and fun facts help you explore safely, have fun and learn a bit about the plants, animals, and places you’ll see along the way.
A portion of the author’s royalties from this book will go to the Take a Hike Foundation to support vulnerable youth in B.C. public schools.
- 55 kid-friendly hikes near Vancouver, Squamish, Whistler, Chilliwack, Hope, Sechelt, Victoria, and Bellingham (full list)
- Tips for hiking with kids, safety, ethics, and etiquette
- 115 colour photos
- Topographic maps
- Trail descriptions highlighting points of interest for kids
- Driving directions and transit routes
- Difficulty and quality ratings
- Recommended season for each trail
- Icons indicating dog rules 🐕
- Distances, elevation gains, and high points
- GPS coordinates for trailheads and important waypoints
- Fun facts about nature and history
- Handy charts for choosing a hike
- Field guide to 30+ animals, fungi, and plants
If you ❤️ the book, please review it on Amazon. Thank you for your support!
Watch the trailer
This book’s for you
- Beginner hikers
- Nature lovers
- Forest bathers
- Trail runners
- Local residents
- Geography buffs
- Flower smellers
- Experienced hikers
- Dog owners 🐕
- Outdoor photographers
- Adventure travellers
- History buffs
- Waterfall chasers
Where to buy
Find a local bookstore
- Retailers: Contact Heritage Group Distribution to order books.
- Publisher: Greystone Books
- Publication date: May 17, 2022
- List price: $24.95 CAD / $18.95 USD / £12.99 GBP
- ISBN: 978-1-77164-597-3
- OCN: 1261877264
- Format: Paperback
- Dimensions: 5.5″ × 8.5″
- Weight: 505 g / 1.11 lb
- Pages: 248 (115 full-colour photos, 45 maps)
Spread the word
Can you help me share the book? Here’s how you can help!
Exciting new book for hikers! @BestHikes and Nature Walks With Kids In and Around Southwestern BC = 55 fun hikes near Vancouver. #BestHikesWithKidsBCTweet
About the author
Stephen Hui has been hiking, backpacking, and scrambling in British Columbia’s Coast Mountains for 30 years. Hui is the author of Best Hikes and Nature Walks With Kids In and Around Southwestern British Columbia, a new guide to 55 hiking trails. His first two books, 105 Hikes and Destination Hikes, were #1 B.C. bestsellers. Visit 105hikes.com.