Discover 55 of the most scenic hikes near Vancouver, each with an exciting destination to reward your efforts.
Towering waterfalls, ancient forest giants, colourful wildflower meadows, sparkling swimming holes, and exhilarating viewpoints. These are the destinations that take a hike from great to unforgettable. And southwestern British Columbia has all of these within an easy drive of Vancouver.
Stephen Hui, bestselling author of 105 Hikes, shares 55 new day trips that celebrate the region’s natural and cultural history, from the panoramic peaks of the Duffey Lake corridor near Whistler to the rocky shores of the Gulf Islands, and from gleaming alpine lakes east in the Chilliwack Valley to lush conifer forests in northern Washington. Destination Hikes In and Around Southwestern British Columbia includes detailed trail descriptions, colour photographs, topographic maps, and points of interest to help you make the most of your hike, whether it’s a quick ramble or a full-day adventure with the family.
A portion of the author’s royalties from this book will go to the Hope Mountain Centre for Outdoor Learning to support trail building and maintenance.
- 55 rewarding hikes in southwestern B.C. and northern Washington
- “Hikes at a Glance” and “Hikes by the Numbers” charts
- Complete trail descriptions and commentary
- Detailed driving directions (and transit routes where available)
- Distances, estimated times, elevation gains, and high points
- Difficulty and quality ratings
- Icons indicating each hike’s special attractions (waterfalls, swimming holes, history, etc.)
- GPS coordinates for trailheads and important waypoints
- Topographic maps
- Numerous full-colour photos
- Notes on conservation, culture, ecology, and geology
- Rules and regulations
- Kid-friendly and shoulder-season recommendations
- “Stops of Interest” on the way to hikes or in the vicinity
- Tips on outdoor safety, ethics, and etiquette
Cecilia Point (foreword)
A member of the Musqueam Nation, Cecilia Point is a political activist who stood for more than 200 days at her people’s ancestral burial site to protect it from development in 2012. She works for the Indigenous Tourism Association of Canada and lives in Richmond, B.C.
- Publisher: Greystone Books (Vancouver, B.C.)
- Format: Paperback (ebook also available)
- Dimensions: 5.5″ × 8.5″
- Pages: 272 (full colour with 56 maps and 131 photos)
- Publication date: May 11, 2021
- List price: $24.95 CAD / $18.95 USD
- ISBN: 978-1-77164-530-0
- OCN: 1191237197
- Citation: Hui, Stephen. Destination Hikes In and Around Southwestern British Columbia: Swimming Holes, Mountain Peaks, Waterfalls, and More. Vancouver: Greystone Books, 2021. ISBN 978-1-77164-530-0.
Spread the word
New book alert! #DestinationHikes In and Around Southwestern British Columbia = 55 beautiful hikes near Vancouver. Coming May 2021 from @greystonebooks.Tweet