It’s time for the main event of the 2021 hiking season (okay, just mine!) — publication day for Destination Hikes In and Around Southwestern British Columbia: Swimming Holes, Mountain Peaks, Waterfalls, and More.
My new guidebook is now available in bookstores everywhere — local and online. Destination Hikes has been three years in the making, so I’m really excited about its release. It’s already #5 on the B.C. Bestseller List! (Can you help share the book?)
Published by Greystone Books, Destination Hikes describes 55 hikes near Vancouver, Canada. It spans 272 pages and covers the North Shore, Sea to Sky, Fraser Valley, Coquihalla, Manning Park, Sunshine Coast, Gulf Islands, Nanaimo, Bellingham, Mount Baker, and other regions.
Inside the book, you’ll find:
- 55 scenic hikes
- 700 km of trails
- 300+ hours of hiking
- 131 colour photos
- 55 topographic maps
- “Hikes at a Glance” and “Hikes by the Numbers” charts
- Driving directions (and transit routes where available)
- Distances, estimated times, elevation gains, and high points
- Difficulty and quality ratings
- Icons for special features (waterfalls, swimming holes, geology, etc.)
- GPS coordinates for trailheads and important waypoints
- “Stops of Interest” on the way to hikes or in the vicinity
- Kid-friendly and shoulder-season recommendations
- Notes on nature, culture, geology, and history
- Tips on outdoor safety, ethics, and etiquette
Destination Hikes is an all-new, stand-alone guide. However, if you own a copy of 105 Hikes In and Around Southwestern British Columbia (my first book), Destination Hikes serves as a companion volume — containing 55 new hikes, a familiar rating system, in-depth write-ups, many more photos, and shiny new features.
I’m grateful to Cecilia Point, a political activist and member of the Musqueam Nation, for writing an incredible foreword for Destination Hikes. Thank you as well to everyone else who helped me complete this journey.
A portion of my royalties from this book will go to the Hope Mountain Centre for Outdoor Learning to support trail building and maintenance.
Help share Destination Hikes
Can you help spread the word about my new book? Here are some ways that you can help:
- Buy the book — for yourself, family, or friends — at a local bookstore.
- Review the book on Amazon, Goodreads, or Indigo.
- Post about the book on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, or Twitter. (Create your own post or story, re-share mine, or click the share buttons at the bottom of this post.)
- Share photos of the book and its 55 hikes, tagging me and #DestinationHikes.
- Follow Destination Hikes on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Thank you for your support!
Looking for your next hike? #DestinationHikes In and Around Southwestern British Columbia = 55 beautiful hikes near Vancouver. Check out the new @DestinationHike book + support your local bookstore!Tweet
Join the book tour
In the coming days and weeks, I’ll participate in a series of events around the release of the book.
First up is the Destination Hikes book launch, hosted by the British Columbia Mountaineering Club (BCMC). Join us on Zoom on Tuesday, May 11 at 7 p.m. PDT.